The Education Action Network

Taking Back America By Taking Back Our Schools

Dec. 23, 2011

There is a new round of financial help for Arizona schools. Arizona has won just over $25 million in federal "Race to the Top" money to improve K-12 education programs.

The Education Department announced this week that Arizona is among seven states sharing $200 million awarded by the Obama administration to encourage changes in education that it favors.

The seven states competing in this round were all runners-up last year. Illinois was awarded the most money, this time around, with more than $42 million.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/12news/news/articles/2011/12/23/20111223ra...

Views: 97

Replies to This Discussion

NO NO NO NO!!! We need less bureaucracy, NOT more!! And NOT more federal involvement in education our kids.

And all God's people said...Amen!

Oh, wow $25 million - sounds like a lot doesn't it? We have sold our souls, our children's education and what little remains of local control over your public education system for - approximately - an extra - drum roll, please - $24 per student based on 2010 enrollment. In order to be considered for Race to the Top funding the state had to adopt the nationalized curriculum - Common Core Standards. Oh, right, it's not a national curriculum - it just came from the Feds and all but has to be adopted by every state, but it's not a national curriculum. Walks like a duck. . .

At the Governor's insistence, the UNELECTED AZ State Brd of Ed adopted these standards - if I am not mistaken when the legislature was out of session - with barely more than a cursory review. I know I'm not mistaken about the cursory review part. But hey, what the heck - if it comes with money. . .

A Merry Christmas to all and to all keep up the good fight!

RSS

About

Harry Mathews created this Ning Network.

© 2022   Created by Harry Mathews.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service