The Education Action Network

Taking Back America By Taking Back Our Schools

2-26-14

Superintendent Huppenthal,

Stacey Morley, from the State Board of Education (SBE), testified in the Senate Education committee (to the local control bills SB1388, SB1395 and SB1396) that she felt the local school districts and charter schools did not have the technical expertise nor the funding to manage their own standards and assessment tests. I highly disagree with this statement and many of our local school districts and charter schools were excelling before Common Core came to our state. You have been my state Representative and Senator in LD20 in my early years in this state. You continually state you are for "school choice" and "local control." You continue to state you are "well versed in American history and the study of the founders." In early America how was school education handled? It was taught at a local school house with direct parental involvement. These bills will bring back "local control" where input from the parents is at the "local level." Will you stand for local control now?

Why does our state continually "jump through hoops" in support of federal mandates that are unconstitutional? The No-Child-Left-Behind (NCLB) Act and other federal education programs before that are unconstitutional because the federal government cannotdictate education programs, achievement requirements, etc., per the US Constitution. Where in the Enumerated powers of Congress or the Executive Branch does it state they have control over our state education programs? Why is our state and so many others complying with NCLB? I can tell you why, we rely on Title 1 federal funding associated with such programs. It is deplorable that our state accepted $1.9 billion dollars in federal funding in 2013 for education! Would our state need this funding if they refused to comply with NCLB and Common Core? Have the 5 states who never adopted Common Core lost their Title 1 funding? As long as they met the requirements of NCLB they still receive federal funding.

The states continually complain that the federal government is "out of control" and cannot "balance their books." Are we not hypocrites when we continually rely on federal funding for our state programs? By accepting this federal funding and their federal mandates which are unconstitutional, we erode our state sovereignty. As stated in the 10th Amendment, "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people." Will you not stand for "local control," "school choice" and our "state sovereignty?" You are the only elected representative in the SBE, and your supposed "claim to fame" is "school choice" and "local control." Will you not stand for local control now?

-Jennifer Reynolds
480-961-4214

Views: 76

Replies to This Discussion

Great article, of course. 

RSS

© 2020   Created by Harry Mathews.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service