The Education Action Network

Taking Back America By Taking Back Our Schools

Arizona Freedom Alliance 10-12-13

Last week at an LD meeting, Superintendent of Public Instruction, John Huppethal, was given free reign to pontificate endlessly about what a wonderful and accomplished person he is and then he went into the issue of common core.  Well, it's not common core anymore, said Huppenthal.  That's why they changed the name to Arizona College and Career Ready.  Fooling nearly no one with that, he went on to say stuff that no third grader would believe based on common sense.

Here's his new message: "It's not Common Core.  We will take the good parts of Common Core and leave the rest.  We will make it better with the changes we will be doing."  Huh?  Is he kidding?

Well, said he, ACHIEVE is very upset about what the current administration has done to common core.  But of course, CC was adopted six months before he came into office - true statement - and then went on to profess that the only programs adopted by Arizona are the reading and math applications, which are really really good.  Really, they are.  He said he's into "decentralized" education but then went on to embrace "parts of Common Core" which is the epitome of "centralized education." Huh?

"The standards in Arizona are not Common Core," he said.  Then followed that up by saying "research shows standards stimulate academic gain and I've switched sides from no standards to high standards based on Common Core."  Soooo, it was 'I was for Common Core before I was against it but now I'm for it but it's not Common Core just the Common Core standards that I am in favor of.  I'm not promoting Common Core, just parts of it because I'm against Common Core."

Well, the fact is that it's the Board of Education that brought us Common Core.  So we don't know what he's talking about when he says he's for it but against it but will implement some of it but it's not common core but he will make it better.  It doesn't seem like HE knows what he's talking about, either.  Only the Board of Ed can make that change.  The members of the BoE are appointed by the Governor.  New appointments will be made by the NEXT governor!!

And by the way, Huppenthal is a Republican.  He ran as a Republican.  He was in the Senate as a Republican.  The Republican National Committee passed a Resolution on April 12, 2013 against Common Core which essentially makes that part of the Republican platform.  The Maricopa County Republican Committee did the same.  Why is this Republican prattling on about, well... the above?

Shouldn't he be saying, "I hate Common Core. It's bad for education.  It stinks.  It was put together by liberals [it was: Craig Barrett, Intel CEO and Bill Gates, Microsoft].  I will work tirelessly with the BoE and the new Governor to get rid of it.  I'd never saddle my kids with this and I won't saddle yours with it either.  My mission is to torpedo CC."

That's not his message.  Until recently, his message is that 'Common Core is GREAT because Barrett and Gates wrote it.  They are great guys.  Aren't they really great guys?'

And he shouldn't be our candidate in the General.

http://arizonafreedomalliance.ning.com/group/editorial-opinion/foru...

Views: 129

Replies to This Discussion

Huppenthal was to speak at the Tempe Republican Women's group tonight, of which I'm a member. He was scheduled to talk for an hour and attendees were to get a whopping 15 minutes to ask him questions. I decided not to go-- I would just get frustrated AGAIN that he gets to control the dialogue and ask for his petition to be signed.

I don't blame you. It gets to be like the "Delphi Technique". You sit there and get spoon fed and if you don't swallow it then there is something wrong with YOU. I hate that. The contempt for the public is beyond adjectives

Peggy McClain said:

Huppenthal was to speak at the Tempe Republican Women's group tonight, of which I'm a member. He was scheduled to talk for an hour and attendees were to get a whopping 15 minutes to ask him questions. I decided not to go-- I would just get frustrated AGAIN that he gets to control the dialogue and ask for his petition to be signed.

Harry,

You are a good man and have done a lot to advance the conservative cause.  But, these are very good standards and completely conservative standards.  The shrillness of this column, the personal, Saul Alinsky,  style of the attack and the false statements made, are unbecoming of you and anyone who would call themselves a conservative.

I disagree Thucydides. There is NOTHING conservative about Common Core. The problems are legion. If you want more evidence please visit The Coalition Against Common Core: http://teach1776.ning.com/group/the-coalition-against-common-core/f... where i have posted 324 articles (so far) on this subject.

The biggest problem is that these "standards" (many of which haven't even been written yet) have been forced upon the public using the Delphi Technique. Federal standards for education are definitionally a slap in the face to the founders of this country and unconstitutional. Don't get me started.

Thucydides said:

Harry,

You are a good man and have done a lot to advance the conservative cause.  But, these are very good standards and completely conservative standards.  The shrillness of this column, the personal, Saul Alinsky,  style of the attack and the false statements made, are unbecoming of you and anyone who would call themselves a conservative.

Thucydides,

There is nothing even lawful about national standards and the Department of Education. Nor is there anything conservative about the Gates Foundation. Once you do more research, you'll find Common Core is just a huge money laundering gimmick that will dumb down the future electorate. It's all money and power, labeled with agreeable names so the public swallows it.

Name one program the government has run successfully and efficiently.

HEAR! HEAR!

Peggy McClain said:

Thucydides,

There is nothing even lawful about national standards and the Department of Education. Nor is there anything conservative about the Gates Foundation. Once you do more research, you'll find Common Core is just a huge money laundering gimmick that will dumb down the future electorate. It's all money and power, labeled with agreeable names so the public swallows it.

Name one program the government has run successfully and efficiently.

Harry you are correct, "Unconstitutional"  this word needs to be used when speaking of CCSS.

Diane Douglas is challenging Huppenthal in the primary. We need to vet her and support her if she follows the Constitution.

Yes, i agree

Peggy McClain said:

Diane Douglas is challenging Huppenthal in the primary. We need to vet her and support her if she follows the Constitution.

RSS

© 2014   Created by Harry Mathews.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service