The Education Action Network

Taking Back America By Taking Back Our Schools

[EVNN Editor: The following is a post from AACC on 2-25-18]

Hi Freedom Fighters,

I am the creator of Arizonans Against Common Core and a member of Mommy Lobby AZ. I wrote this article to expose Superintendent Diane Douglas's continued lies on the campaign trail in 2018 that she "Stopped Common Core." Please take the time to read the article in its entirety. Feel free to post on social media and share with your local LD's, Republican Groups, tea party groups, etc.

For our precious children,

-Jennifer Reynolds
@MommyLobbyAZ
http://www.reynoldsnet.org/commoncore/news.html

Diane Douglas: Arizona's Queen of Common Core

http://www.gilbertwatch.com/index.cfm/blog/diane-douglas-arizona-s-...

by Jennifer Reynolds, Creator of Arizonans Against Common Core and member of Mommy Lobby AZ

The second rebrand of Common Core is no more than Lipstick on a Pig.  Superintendent of Public Instruction Diane Douglas continues to travel around the state in 2018 on the campaign trail telling crowds that she “Stopped Common Core” as part of her 2014 campaign promise. This is far from the truth! Common Core was Rebranded a second time on December 19, 2016 when the 2016 Arizona English Language Arts (ELA) and Mathematics Standards were adopted by the State Board of Education (SBE) with an 8-1 vote.  See Arizona State Board Of Education Approves Rebrand Of Common Core S... and State Board Of Education Ignores Governor, Parents And Own Policy

SBE member Jared Taylor was the only vote opposing the adoption of these standards and he stated, “The bottom line is that I am very disappointed that we kicked the parents to the curb and ignored the will of the voters when they elected Diane Douglas. Yet she led the way today; we just renewed Common Core.”

Comments Compiled by Parents and Teachers
IGNORED by Arizona Legislators, SLAPPED DOWN by Supt. Douglas

Parents and teachers had compiled all of our English/Language Arts and Mathematics public comments on these standards calling out where they were: 1) developmentally inappropriate by grade level; 2) where standards were missing; and 3) which standards were damaging to children due to the pedagogy that requires prescriptive "how to’s” for teachers to use in the classroom. I sent  an email to legislators calling out the “2nd Rebrand of Common Core- Lipstick on the Common Core Pig” in our state on December 6, 2016.  Subsequently, Superintendent Douglas wrote a response to legislators on December 13, 2016 denying the Re....

The 2nd Rebrand of Common Core Exposed by Mommy Lobby’s Side-By-Side Comparison

Mommy Lobby AZ also created a “side-by-side” comparison in 2017 of the 2013 Arizona College and C...Judge for yourself if there are “significant” changes in the standards!  

We also found that only 5% of the K-3 Mathematics Standards had changed and 7% of the K-3 ELA standards had changed.  See A Picture is Worth a Thousand Common Core Standards.   There were 95% and 93% of the 2013 ACCRS (aka Common Core) standards that still remained for Mathematics and ELA, respectively! Grammar changes, replacing a word for “clarity in a standard,” etc., were not considered "significant" by the ML and weren't calculated. Even the numbering of the 2016 ELA and Mathematics standards had not changed, unless a standard was deleted or a new standard was added, because the numbering of standards is how AzMERIT test questions are selected to match the standards! Again, who is Superintendent Douglas and the ADE Standards staff trying to fool?  What “magical formulas” did the ADE use in their ELA and Math “Changes and Responses” documents?  ADE should provide legitimate data to back up their “percentage changed” formulas for the 2016 ELA and Mathematics standards! 

Frank Riggs: The Most Qualified, Most Experienced, Most Ethical Candidate for SPI

I am now working for Frank Riggs’ 2018 campaign for Superintendent of Public Instruction. I had the pleasure of working with him “in the trenches” to Stop Common Core when he ran for Governor in 2014. He is the most qualified executive to run for the highest office in education in our state.   He will be an ethical SPI who won't lie about his record, and he won't betray parents by rebranding  Common Core. He has always fought for local control over education as a former school board member, classroom substitute teacher, businessman and Congressman who wrote legislation which promoted “local control,” not “federal control.”  See Frank Riggs: The Only Candidate with a Record for Fighting to get t...  Join me today and support Frank Riggs for State Superintendent of Public Instruction with your time, donations, and your vote! 

Views: 84

Replies to This Discussion

https://cms.azed.gov/home/GetDocumentFile?id=59b185613217e1015407f276

Read this.  This is the enforcement plan of Common Core.  

Every school submits a plan and that plan has to be approved by four different departments of the federal government.

We now know the national consequences of Common Core.  Combined math and reading scores fell for the first time ever from 2011 to 2015.

But, not in Arizona.  Our approach to the standards was different than states like New York.  The training was done to the teachers in New York- provoked a riot.   In Arizona, the training was done by the teachers - different outcome.

This enforcement plan will be even worse.  As Superintendent, I could remove the central power aspects of standards and make them a service, not a totalitarian mandate.  Most state supes believed in the standards.  I never did.  I believed that I could turn them into a positive and I was correct- Arizona, unlike other states, had good gains from 2011 to 2015. 

The problem with any set of standards is that they can force teachers to teach at one point on the academic standards when the typical 8th grade teacher has two students below eight students below 4rth grade standards, five below 5th grade standards; five below 6th grade standards, five below 7th grade standards and five above 8th grade standards.

The outstanding teacher is teaching at five or more different points on the academic achievement spectrum to get the best results for her students.  But, standards are telling her to teach at one point.  The substandard national result is the outcome of that bad policy.

You would have had to cut my arm off to have gotten me to sign this plan. Every school district and charter school is going through this mess right now.  Over 500 plans being submitted to the central authorities for review.  These type of activities suck power right out of the classroom.

The Soviet Union now Russia has a GDP per capita one-fourth of ours from having used a central planning process like this.  Now, Arizona has adopted a plan which inexperienced school districts and charters may find their cultures trashed by the authority of this "plan."

Thus spake Arizona's King of Common Core

Thucydides said:

https://cms.azed.gov/home/GetDocumentFile?id=59b185613217e1015407f276

Read this.  This is the enforcement plan of Common Core.  

Every school submits a plan and that plan has to be approved by four different departments of the federal government.

We now know the national consequences of Common Core.  Combined math and reading scores fell for the first time ever from 2011 to 2015.

But, not in Arizona.  Our approach to the standards was different than states like New York.  The training was done to the teachers in New York- provoked a riot.   In Arizona, the training was done by the teachers - different outcome.

This enforcement plan will be even worse.  As Superintendent, I could remove the central power aspects of standards and make them a service, not a totalitarian mandate.  Most state supes believed in the standards.  I never did.  I believed that I could turn them into a positive and I was correct- Arizona, unlike other states, had good gains from 2011 to 2015. 

The problem with any set of standards is that they can force teachers to teach at one point on the academic standards when the typical 8th grade teacher has two students below eight students below 4rth grade standards, five below 5th grade standards; five below 6th grade standards, five below 7th grade standards and five above 8th grade standards.

The outstanding teacher is teaching at five or more different points on the academic achievement spectrum to get the best results for her students.  But, standards are telling her to teach at one point.  The substandard national result is the outcome of that bad policy.

You would have had to cut my arm off to have gotten me to sign this plan. Every school district and charter school is going through this mess right now.  Over 500 plans being submitted to the central authorities for review.  These type of activities suck power right out of the classroom.

The Soviet Union now Russia has a GDP per capita one-fourth of ours from having used a central planning process like this.  Now, Arizona has adopted a plan which inexperienced school districts and charters may find their cultures trashed by the authority of this "plan."

RSS

© 2020   Created by Harry Mathews.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service