The Education Action Network

Taking Back America By Taking Back Our Schools

by Bill Korach www.thereportcard.org 5-29-13

No school  in America will be free of the Common Core Standard (CCSS) and that makes CCSS the most intrusive Federal Education program in the history of the America. Catholic schools will be forced to align with the CCSS, as will Charters, Christian Schools and even elite private schools. Paul Horton, History Instructor at the prestigious University of Chicago Laboratory School and Illinois State Liaison to the Council for History Education says: “CCSS will impact Home Schooling too, even Lab School once (CCSS) it makes it into the SAT.” Mr. Horton means that the SATs will be aligned to CCSS, so all teaching and testing must be CCSS oriented or put students at a disadvantage with the new CCSS aligned tests. All Americans need to be concerned about the state of educational standards under CCSS.

We asked Joy Pullman of the Heartland institute for her take on CCSS impact:

Charter schools, as public schools, are the most impacted by Common Core because  they are fully public schools. They must implement Common Core completely. What that means depends on the state rules for charter schools, but in every state charter schools must administer state tests, which under Common Core, as we all know, are in 2014-2015 federal Common Core tests. Schools that do not teach their children according to Common Core yet are judged against it, as charter schools and any voucher-accepting schools are, will be at a disadvantage. 

This is what people talk about when they say they are concerned Common Core hurts school choice. Choice schools almost always have to administer state tests. This arrangement combined with Common Core, as Dr. Jay Greene of the University of Arkansas says, reduces school choice to a mere decision about which provider will offer the best version of centrally determined content. It’s as if a central board set the menu all fast food restaurants could offer. 

Not only this, but the ACT and SAT tests are being aligned to Common Core, meaning that any child from any school, including home schools, who wishes to go to college must demonstrate he or she fits the Common Core mold. Popular tests private schools use as basic diagnostics, such as the Iowa Basic and Stanford-9, are also now all Common Core aligned. I have not found one that is not. 

Testing is just one major way Common Core alters private and alternative education. Curriculum is the other. Many private schools use mainline textbooks. And almost all textbook publishers have switched their sequence of offerings over to Common Core because they want access to the national market it creates. This means private schools hoping to offer something different or better have fewer places to turn, and will likely end up offering the same things public schools do by default. 

Now, what some of the best schools are doing or have done (such as BASIC charter schools, two of which are top five in the nation) is simply have their kids achieve several grade levels ahead. Their fifth graders do eighth grade math books, and so forth. But schools that are not this proactive and aggressive, which is the vast majority of them, are likely to fall right in line and, like Catholic schools, feel they have no choice but to march in step if they want their kids to perform well on any tests that ultimately determine college acceptance and public esteem.

Views: 94

Replies to This Discussion

I honestly believe that it's time that parents wake up and realize who cares if they don't go to the universities that make this the criteria for admission. If students can do a placement test instead, or online courses, there still could be a way around it. Also, isn't Bill Gates (one of the master minds behind all of this) a college drop out? Why not teach our kids trades and skills that would allow them to be self employed and NOT HAVE to go to college (I know I will get flack for that - but it's not the end of the world. People CAN support themselves without a college degree). 

Anyway, I also think there will be universities now in existence who offer those of us who refuse to align with common core admission, or there will be those who create such places. I also believe that since there are so many states seriously considering backing out that there may be more higher educational options than we currently see happening at present. 

I agree that not everyone should go to college. I believe it was the author of "Rich Man, Poor Man" who said to go out and get several different jobs where you can learn something. I agree with that too. I did go to college myself but being self employed all my life has forced me to learn, by teaching myself and, from others outside the college environment. There a lots of ways to learn.    

The education reform movement has yet to reach critical mass. The education system we have now atrofied and extremely corrupt. Our founders would have been horrified by what that "thing" has evolved into. It is extremely counterproductive to a free society. We have a long way to go before we can begin to turn things around.

The leadership in this country is the biggest stumbling block. Our az board is regents is aweful, our az superintendent of schools is aweful our college presidents are aweful, our governor is aweful, maricopa county superintendent of schools is aweful, 99% of our school boards are aweful, and on and on. There is a lot that needs fixing.

Nancy Genys said:

I honestly believe that it's time that parents wake up and realize who cares if they don't go to the universities that make this the criteria for admission. If students can do a placement test instead, or online courses, there still could be a way around it. Also, isn't Bill Gates (one of the master minds behind all of this) a college drop out? Why not teach our kids trades and skills that would allow them to be self employed and NOT HAVE to go to college (I know I will get flack for that - but it's not the end of the world. People CAN support themselves without a college degree). 

Anyway, I also think there will be universities now in existence who offer those of us who refuse to align with common core admission, or there will be those who create such places. I also believe that since there are so many states seriously considering backing out that there may be more higher educational options than we currently see happening at present. 

RSS

© 2020   Created by Harry Mathews.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service